Thursday, June 26, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 13 - Azofra to Granon (June 26, 2014)

I started walking at 5:45 am and arrived in Granon at noon, covering a total distance of 20.5 km (12.7 miles) today. En-route, I stopped at Santo Domingo de la Calzada for breakfast and toured the Cathedral of Santo Domingo de la Calzada (for a reduced pilgrim price of 3 euros). I learned about the legend of the rooster and the hen in the city to my amusement. 

Today was also the first rain day for me on the Camino. It was refreshing to walk in the rain though a tad inconvenient as I had to put on my poncho and back pack rain cover to protect my gear. I supposed all the whining (and prayers) we did about the heat and sun finally gave way to rain and we got what we wanted. I took the rain in stride and chalked it to the Camino experience. It wouldn't be right to walk the Camino without some rain. It's part of life and the Camino.

The Hospital de Peregrinos San Juan Bautista albergue is the reason for my stop-over in Granon as I've heard interesting nuggets about the (donativo) refuge and wanted to try it out for myself. We sleep on a mattress on the floor in a large room with fellow pilgrims and we are invited to a communal dinner at 8 pm; breakfast is also provided. There is Mass at 7 pm and evening prayers at 9 pm after dinner at the 14th-C San Juan Baustista parish church next to the albergue. Looking forward!

As usual, here are photos of the day... enjoy and God bless!



Above: "Build and they will come?" I doubt it. Houses for sale in Cirinuela



Above: Arriving in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Above left: My (usual) breakfast in Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Above left: The Cathedral of Santo Domingo de la Calzada and its 70 metres 18th-C bell tower; Above right: The old pilgrims' hospital is now converted to a parador (state-owned luxury hotel)

Above right: Inside the Cathedral of Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Above right: A hen and a rooster sit inside a nest inside this cathedral ~ the rooster was crowing rather loudly when I was there

Above: The cloister in the Cathedral houses a permanent exhibition of paintings, sculptures, ornaments, and other religious artifacts

Above left: The narrow streets of Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Above: The "brave" rose

Above: Arriving in Granon

Above: Inside the Hospital de Peregrinos San Juan Bautista in Granon

Above right: 7 pm Mass at the Church of San Juan Bautista in Granon

Above: Communal dinner at Hospital de Peregrinos San Juan Bautista in Granon

Above left: Bradforde sang a song for us after dinner; Above right: Short night reflection at the Church after dinner


2 comments:

Yolanda Travels said...

Hello Sandra,
I used your photo in my blog http://yolandatravels1965.blogspot.com/2016/08/camino-dzien-dziesiaty.html. I added info about the owner. If you want to remove, please contact me.

Your blog is full of inspirations to travel. Congratulations.
I invite you to Poland once again. Now we have highways and much better public transport. Poland has changed a lot since your visit in 2007.
Regards
Jola

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Hi Jola,
You're welcome to use that photo in your blog. Thank you for the lovely feedback and for the update on Poland's infrastructure. :) Happy trails & travels to you!... and God bless!!
Sandra