Monday, June 16, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 3 - Roncesvalles to Zubiri (June 16, 2014)

Today was a relatively easier day (compared to yesterday) even though I covered 21.5 km (13.6 miles) in 6 hours - I left Roncesvalles (elev. 950 m) at 6 am and arrived in Zubiri (elev. 525 m) at noon. My pilgrim staff, the hiking pole, helped a great deal on the descents by bearing some of the weight off of my knees and acting as a balance (I'm always slower on the descent). I was also glad that I invested in good socks - the merino bland ones provided extra cushion to my tired toes and heels. I also have a blister on a toe on each foot, which I had gotten from yesterday's hike. Wrapping each toe tightly with moleskin and securing it with a band-aid last night helped prevent further friction and the rupturing of the blisters (they do not hurt actually).

I walked past several Spanish/Basque medieval towns today: Auritz/Burguete, Aurizberri Espinal, Bizkarreta-Gerendiain, and Lintzoain. It was fortuitous that I saved a 1/4 of my cheese panini from yesterday to eat as breakfast along the way. At 9 am, a few of us walked into a bar that just opened for business for the day (all the towns were dead quiet in the morning). It felt great to down a cup of hot tea and eat a slice of egg and potato torta before I went on my way. It was a perfect rest stop for me as, little did I know, I had another 3 hours of walking ahead of me.

This pilgrimage has been fascinating in the diversity that I've seen and encountered to date. Many of the pilgrims I met today come from Russia, Germany, Slovenia, Korea, the Netherlands, Spain, France, Norway, the U.S., and Singapore. Though we are diverse, we are similar in the same goal to walk the Camino. Nothing brings people together like a common ground. Truth is, we are all connected.

Zubiri is a nice rest stop for the rest of the day. It's a neat little town. I'm staying at Albergue Zaldiko for 10 a night. I really enjoyed the clean and private bathrooms with hot showers. I also liked that it comes with free high-speed WiFi.

Above (copied verbatim from a sign board): "The Sorginaritzaga forest, which means the "oakwood of witches", was where some of the most well-known witches' covens of the XVI century were held, which led to a much-talked-about repression which ended up taking nine people from the region at stake. The White Cross, a symbol of divine protection on the road, which was also the main route between Roncesvalles and Burguete until 1880, was (placed) in this enclave."

Above: At Auritz/Burguete

Above: At Aurizberri Espinal

Above: Breakfast at a bar in Bizkarreta-Bizkarreta-Gerendiain

Above left: Basque pelota at Lintzoain

Above: Arrival at Zubiri

 
Above: Albergue Zaldiko



Next post: Day 4 - Zubiri to Pamplona (June 17, 2014)
Previous post: Day 2 - Valcarlos to Roncesvalles (June 15, 2014)

No comments: