Sunday, June 22, 2014

Camino de Santiago: Day 9 - Villamayor de Monjardin to Torres del Rio (June 22, 2014)

Today's lessons were the 3 Ps of Patience, Perseverance, and Pain-relief. A pleasant start at 6:45 am from Villamayor de Monjardin soon turned torturous near 10 am as the heat and sun penetrated the atmosphere. The sky was clear blue and clouds were few and far between. Even though the terrain was mostly flat, it was a L-O-N-G stretch of unshaded trail and it felt like I was walking in the desert.

The blister on my right foot caused me to walk unsteadily which led to a sore shin (the same one that splinted a few years ago when I trained for a full marathon). During my brief break at Los Arcos at 10 am, I wrapped my right shin with an elastic bandage to support and place pressure on the area and it helped somewhat to relieve the discomfort. After the break, I walked constantly and unceasingly to Torres del Rio to lessen my time under the heat and direct sun and I arrived at Torres del Rio at noon.

Earlier on in the trek today, I lost my way twice before re-finding the Camino, each time luckily without losing too much time. All in, I definitely honed patience and perseverance today. I also learned to focus on the positive (like the environment around me) instead of the pain on my feet and legs. I walked a total distance of 20 km (12.4 miles) in 5 hr 15 mins today.

I'm staying a night at Albergue Casa Mariela. The 23 euros rate includes a bed, 3-course dinner, and breakfast. After shower and laundry, I took out my pain relief cream and applied it on my legs for the first time on the Camino ~ I'm glad for it. Unfortunately, I missed the 1 pm Sunday Mass (the only Mass today); I'll take my luck as it comes and fit myself to it.



Above right: The plaza in Los Arcos where I rested to have tea

Above right: Church of Santa Maria de Los Arcos

Above right: My dorm room in Albergue Casa Mariela in Torres del Rio

Above: The 12th-C Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Torres del Rio has a single octagonal floor with a dome over it (apparently the only church in the world designed thus); it has a Moorish influence with its design originating from Cordoba

Above right: The 13th-C Crucifix in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre





No comments: