Saturday, August 2, 2014

Camino Fisterra: Day 3 - Olveiroa to Fisterra (Finisterre) (August 01, 2014)

I made a last push to Fisterra (sometimes known as Finisterre) from Olveiroa by walking 35 km (21.7 miles) today. I started at 7 am, after breakfast in Olveiroa, and arrived in Fisterra (Finisterre) at 2 pm, exhausted with sore feet but happy.

What else can I say? It's been a wonderful Camino altogether. I felt better prepared and ready for my end at Fisterra (Finisterre) than my finish at Santiago. The weather was simply superb (truly grateful) and I got to witness the sunset near the lighthouse, marking the end of my Camino. I'm tired but fully grateful, contented, and proud (no hubris here) of how far I've come with the help of God. Glory be to Him.

"... surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the House of the Lord forever more." Amen.

Above left: River Xallas

Above right: A Nosa Senora das Neves (18th century)

Above right: A thought came to mind, "Why can't someone build a bridge here, so I don't have to climb down and (then) up this ditch of a path?" Or I can quit griping and walk with a good pilgrim's attitude!

Above: Stunning views of the coast and the finish line

Above right: What do you see ahead? An ocean, you say? It was surreal to finally see the sea (after starting my trek from the mountains 7 weeks ago)

Above: The blessed weather made it even better

Above left: Every cloud has a silver lining; Above right: Entering (and passing through) Cee

Above: I'm finally on the coast (proud satisfaction)

Above: Corcubion

Above left: This part of the trail reminded me of California's Pacific Coast Hwy 1 (oh, how I miss home)

Above: View of Fisterra (Finisterre) and the lighthouse from a distance

Above: The cove of Talon ~ a quiet beach, it's definitely worth the climb down (and up) the cliff

Above right: The beach of A Langosteira

Above left: A Langosteira beach; Above right: These stones were painful to walk on by this time

Above: Arriving in Fisterra (Finisterre) at 2:00 pm

Above left: Happy to see Sarah, Park, and their two sons again in Fisterra (Finisterre); Above right: Fisterra (Finisterre) compostela

 
Above: My single room in Pension Cabo Finisterre (18 euros a night) ~ a worthy indulgence

  
Above: First course ~ fish soup, second course ~ seafood paella (SO good, loaded with seafood: mussels, clams, bamboo clams, crab, shrimp), dessert ~ strawberry mousse (the total cost for the 3-course meal with white wine and bread was 12 euros)

Above: My final 3 km (1.9 miles) walk to the faro (lighthouse) at 8 pm

Above left: My Camino ended here at the lighthouse (built in 1853); Above right: What a brilliant end to an epic trek from the French Pyrenees to Spain's Galician Atlantic coast

Above left: The walk back to Fisterra (Finisterre); Above right: God is the alpha and the omega ~ the reason for my Camino. Thanks be to God.

8 comments:

TE said...

Congratulations again!!! That was one heck of a final push. I have no idea how you found the will to put together those last two days of walking after all the other days on the road. The views do look pretty amazing, though.

I am not sure if it is you next step, but have a safe trip home.

-Tom E.

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Thanks (again)!!! Where there's a will, there's a way. The intent was strong to finish (even though I was exhausted after Santiago). I'm in Lisbon right now after a long day of travel yesterday (new post to come soon). I appreciate you following my blog. Best wishes!

Simon Middleton said...

Hello, I have just finished reading all your blog entries from Bayonne. It has taken me all afternoon. I came across your blog by google search as I still love all things Camino. Your photos are wonderful and you came across so positively, with a great philosophy and spirit. That El Acebo incident reminded me of a couple of horror nights too when I walked the Camino in the summer of 2013. Thank you so much for sharing this with the world and not keeping it private.

Simon M

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Wow!! Thanks for reading all of 'em in one sitting. It's a lot to take in in one afternoon, I imagine..? Your feedback means a lot and I appreciate the pat on the back. What route did you take in summer '13? Any plans to return and do a different Camino route..? or maybe as a hospitalero?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I took the Frances too but walked it far too quickly to fully appreciate it, taking 29 days. If I had the chance, I would walk it at your pace or maybe even a bit slower. I walked the Camino Ingles in April of this year and it was a good, short Camino and surprisingly tough. Maybe next summer I'll go back and walk the Frances again or the Norte. Travelling there is a consideration though as I live in Hong Kong.

I'm sure the world would love to see you do another Camino as your photos on the Frances are really fabulous. If you posted the link already, the members of this forum https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/ would no doubt also love to read this lovely blog. There are quite a few listed, but yours is a bit extra special for the reasons I mentioned.

I took a peek too at your other trips and am amazed you have managed to do so much on a modest budget. Very inspirational. Thank you again and God bless :)

Simon M

Sandra Siew Yee said...

You're most welcome! And thanks for the kind words. I took your advice and posted the link in the forum. The Camino has emboldened me to try new things, among other gifts received with gratitude. May you keep walking and may God keep you safe in the palm of His hand. Rejoice, rejoice! :D

Eddie Bone Jones said...

Bravaaaa! You got moxy! Thank you for sharing your journey. Pax and agape.

Sandra Siew Yee said...

Much appreciated, Eddie Bone Jones! :)